American imaging Management authorization
The following services may require prior approval when received on a non–emergent outpatient basis, such as in a doctor’s office, the outpatient department of a hospital or at a freestanding imaging center 1 (for dates of service on or after February 15, 2007):
- CT/CTA scans
- MRI/MRA scans
- PET scans
- Nuclear cardiology studies
Enter the patient's group number and click search.
Diagnostic imaging prior approval code list:
The following document outlines the health services codes for diagnostic imaging procedures.
Please Note: The procedure code 76380, limited CT, does not require authorization. However, CT of the maxillofacial: procedure codes 70486, 70487 and 70488 do require authorization. Please be sure you are using the proper code for the service being provided.
To request prior approval for diagnostic imaging procedures:
- Online – Through the ProviderPortalSM system in Blue eSM
- By phone: American Imaging Management – 1–866–455–8414
Monday – Friday, 8 a.m. – 6 p.m., Eastern Time
Please note: Only ordering physicians can obtain a prior approval number. Hospitals and freestanding imaging centers that perform the services listed cannot obtain a prior approval number but should confirm that one was issued.
Diagnostic imaging resources:
- More information – Get answers to your questions about this program by reviewing the frequently asked questions.
- Medical policy information – Review guidelines governing the use of diagnostic imaging procedures by reviewing our medical policies (BCBSNC commercial plans only).
- Training materials: