Good book authors
Goodreads is a place for all kinds of booklovers, and that includes authors. There are many ways you, as a Goodreads Author, can participate in the community. We hope that you enjoy using the site, and that Goodreads also helps more readers discover your books.
Here are some helpful guidelines for how to have the best possible experience on Goodreads. Of course, if you're ever in doubt about whether something is a good idea, or appropriate, you are welcome to send us an email.
Overall, whichever way you to choose to participate in Goodreads, we want to remind you that the Goodreads Author program is meant to be used in a professional capacity. The community perceives you as a public figure so we expect you to act professionally.
Some things to do on Goodreads
- Write a blog or import your blog. Authors are the only members of Goodreads who can have blogs, and author blogs are a great place to start a conversation. If you already have a blog outside of Goodreads, maximize the time you are spending on that by setting it up to import to Goodreads for your fans there.
- Post a giveaway for your book. This is a key way to help readers discover your book and generate those all-important reviews. Giveaways allow new readers to take a chance on your book. Please view our guide to giveaways for more information.
- Improve your Author Page. Fill out the “about this author” section (make it fun and personal), add a professional author photo, add videos (book trailers or interviews with you), and share events. For a few examples of fun, engaging author profiles, check out Veronica Roth and Sylvia Day.
- Use status updates to talk to your followers. Just like on Twitter or Facebook, you can post general updates about what you’re doing and share links to interesting information. To do this, go to the “Currently Reading” box on the right hand side of the Home page. On the bottom right hand side of that section, you will see the link for "add a general update."
- Shelve your favorite books or the ones that have inspired you and review them. Readers love seeing what their favorite authors are reading.
- Join a group around a topic or genre related to your book or a group for authors. Groups are a great place to meet readers or other authors who share your passions. Bring your expertise and enthusiasm to group discussions, and you're bound to meet some people! If you join a group, participate as a reader first, and be sure to check the rules regarding author participation.
A good analogy is the cocktail party scenario. Imagine you are at a cocktail party full of readers (dream scenario, right?!) The conversation is interesting and flowing. People are exchanging ideas and suggestions. Now imagine, that a new person enters the room, barges into the conversation and announces, “Hi Everyone, I’m an author and you’re going to love my book!” Would you welcome that person and want to get to know them? Unlikely. So, join the conversation as a reader first. Once people see you are a passionate and friendly member of the group, they will want to know more about you and then will ask questions about your work. If this seems like too slow an approach and too much work to you, we recommend you don’t join groups. Focus on giveaways and building out your author page.
Some things to avoid on Goodreads
The following guidelines will help you cultivate a positive relationship with the community. Violating these principles may cause your author account to come under review.
Share this Post
Good authors Books
Looking for something to read but don’t want to stray too far from the authors you know and love? Seeking undiscovered literary…Read More
Famous book authors
The best children’s book authors are those who can get inside a child’s mind to really excite their imagination. Some stories…Read More